olympic game farm

Josh and I have been trying to be more of those “fun” parents that plan activities and go on day trips. Especially with this being our last year in Seattle, we might as well take advantage until the Army stations us in the middle of nowhere Arkansas (or somewhere to that extent).

So to celebrate Memorial Day we decided to plan a day trip to Sequim, WA, and take Mads to the Olympic Game Farm. The day before we dropped off Molly at the grandparents’ house, and then we (over) planned so we could get there before the rush and spend the rest of the day exploring the island. We looked up the route and decided in order to get to the farm before they open we’d need to wake up at 4:30AM and catch the 5:30AM ferry.

You know you're waking up too early when the sun generally rises at 5AM and you're awake before then. The best part was when we ended up getting to the farm an hour before they opened. Turns out it was a 2.5 hour trip total, not 2.5 hours from the ferry dock to the farm. We WERE first in line, until we decided to get some gas and within 15 minutes the parking lot was full. How that is possible will forever be one of the mysteries of the universe. 

The Olympic Game Farm is the most random zoo type thing I’ve ever been to. You can feed bread to llamas, deer, yak, and scary as hell buffalo (we’ll get back to those buffalo later). Along with those animals are tons, and I mean TONS of bears. Wolves, at least 50 peacocks, a single zebra (?), and lots of tigers (??). Most odd assortment of animals I’ve ever seen. There’s also a goat petting zoo, a small “aquarium” that consist of a large tank full of salmon and trout, chickens, and bunnies galore.

Overall it was a very interesting experience, except feeding the animals which freaked me the hellz out. Josh thought he was SO funny rolling down my window and holding up a piece of bread so a GIANT buffalo head came intruding into the car right in front of me and a foot long tongue unfolded right by face. There might have been some cursing and a small tear in my eye. Brave Madelyn was shrieking with joy while I coward behind her and shrieked with fear. 

After we drove through the farm it was only 9:30AM (we also thought it would have taken much longer than it did). We headed to the coast and drove through lots of neighborhoods with big beautiful houses and stopped at every beach we saw. We also went to this adorable and extremely unaffordable farmers market, and then ate at a cute little 50’s inspired diner for an early lunch.

And then we unfortunately got stuck in traffic waiting for the ferry that started an hour away from the dock(!). Luckily Madelyn took her first long nap in practically years and slept through two hours of traffic.

Riding the ferry that afternoon when my eyes weren't half-closed and bleary with sleep was probably my favorite part of the trip. I realized why McDreamy in "Grey's Anatomy" loves ferries so much, there's something kind of serendipitous about them. Plus Madelyn and I got ice cream on the ferry (because they have a food court, how freaking cool is that?!) and ice cream always makes things more magical. 

That day the phrase “this is why we aren’t go-getter adventure type people" kept entering my mind. But, even though so many things went wrong with that trip and we were extremely sleep deprived (which turned out to be unneeded) it was an amazing adventure. We made lasting memories, and it was at least all worth it for the videos I took of Josh feeding the animals.

It's amazing how being a parent challenges you past your point of comfort, and forces you to do better and be better. Forces you to get out of the house every day, to go on adventures, and to live in a more memorable way.